Tuesday, February 8, 2011

You never 'really' know what "surreal bathroom encounter" means until you get to college ("Sorry, I've never had to deal with this before; do you want me to call 911 or just get you some paper towels?")

So before I get to the real point of this post I'd like to give a quick facebook status(by this I mean random and brief(snicker snicker)) update: I was in the dining hall today and I realized there was a cappuccino(have you ever noticed how oddly that word is spelled? 2 'p's and 2 'c's) machine.  It took me a couple of minutes to regain my composure, but afterwards I knew I had to carefully consider my options.  Here is a list representing my thoughts on the matter
Magically delicious.
  • Cappuccinos are delicious.
  • "Swiss Mocha" and "French Vanilla" are two of the choices: super delicious.
  • I need caffeine.
  • I think I heard possibly from somewhere or read it or someone told me or I just decided it one day in my imagination that cappuccinos have less caffeine than other coffee drinks.
  • There is also coffee in the dining hall.
  • I like coffee.
  • I will be sure that I have enough caffeine only if I drink coffee.
  • QED: I will get coffee and a cappuccino.
(If you can't tell, I've been taking a class on propositional logic and valid arguments)
(This might be a horrible example of propositional logic)
(I'm really bad at keeping things short)
(I should really consider using footnotes)

So that was basically a really long-winded way of explaining and rationalizing why I consumed an inordinate amount of caffeine at lunch-time today.

Speaking of caffeine/regularly having to deal with extremely long-winded ways of explaining and rationalizing things I already know....
You know what would be really, really, really*(test footnote), really cool and useful?

Imagine going to your 8:00 class. You've had a late night and you're really tired, so you want to maximize the sleep you get.  You want to get up in the morning, get dressed, and immediately go to class.  This includes several assumed sacrifices: no shower***, no breakfast, and most important of all****:*****/******.

Sigh. I think the random thoughts are even more disorienting when they're footnotes(1) Most important of all: you would not get any caffeine. Even with the extra sleep you got, staying alert and awake in class might be a big problem. Making coffee/buying coffee and drinking it in your room/putting it in a to go cup is a big use of time.  My suggestion would fix all of this.

Incredibly convenient and magically delicious.
Chocolate covered espresso beans is already an invention, even though I'm not sure where you can find them on UNC campus.  If they're cheap and available in large supply, I want to buy a ton of them.  Then I can have a little ziplock baggie(2) full of caffeine with me at all times.  If I start getting sleepy after lunch during Religion lecture, I can just snack on a couple more!  They're delicious *and* useful!






Okay, done with caffeine tangent; what was I supposed to be talking about?

Oh, right.

Oops.

* be sure to read this as written, pronouncing** every comma
** can you pronounce a comma? Does that make sense?
*** or any other regular morning hygienic activities
**** Can a sentence include 2 colons? With one being inside the list started by the other?
***** Would I put the asterisks behind or before the colon?
****** I feel like these asterisks are just as disruptive as random parenthesis*******, especially when you have to count them to figure out where the footnote is and I have to go to a completely different part of the post to actually document my "footnote thought".  I'm now changing the footnote mark to make it so you don't have to count all the asterisks, this should be easier.
******* parentheses??? parenthesis???
(1) at least for me
(2) hahahahaha "baggie"


This footnote thing may or may not be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha well I would say to ditch the footnotes next post but they were very ingenious for this post. Although annoying and ridiculous and especially annoying there were entertaining for the minute I read your post.

    Now to get to the real response to your dilemma…the library. Why can’t Carolina create a morning time station in every library? Who hasn’t sleep overnight on a couch in the library? Then you want to shower, brush your teeth, and use the general purpose of the bathroom when you wake up; so why not has a shower or two in the library bathrooms along with a toothbrush, toothpaste, and shampoo dispenser? Carolina can make money off the commodities sales and people will make better grades because just like we learned in class today sleeping around books causes some weird form of osmosis and you get crazy smart. What is not to love; we would have smarter students and more hygienic students as well.

    ReplyDelete