Tuesday, November 1, 2011

P-P-PROCRASTINATING!!!

So it is currently 9 pm, and I have some math to do.  I have exactly 18 hours before 20 edited and stapled versions of my fully written short story need to be delivered to my creative writing class. X will be the amount of time it will take me to write a middle and an end for the meager beginning of my story. Y will be the amount of time it will take to learn to sing the chords and melodies I need for my music test in 13 hours. Of course I'll need to subtract the hours for the other 3 classes I have tomorrow as well.

The variables "F" and "C," "food" and "coffee" respectively, will also be subtracted from my time. For now we will assume the variable "S," or "sleep," to be a non-necessity which will absorb any remainder of this equation.

So that means that I've got approximately...um...well...some hours left.  I'm not really a math person, I just like the idea of variables.

I should also probably read some British literature for class in 12 hours. Hmm... as long as S is content to be a marginal non-necessary variable, it would be epic to go sit in Kenan Stadium and watch the sunrise while meditating on some of John Donne's elaborate metaphysical analogies about life and love and religion. I will ponder this option when I take another break later. (I plan my work around my study breaks)

Oh yeah, addendum: "R" is my journal assignment for my Religion class, which will be done 20-40 minutes before class starts.

So Halloween was yesterday!  I create Halloween costumes like I write blog posts. If I find the time to brainstorm and plan in advance I can come up with a really cool cohesive idea with a strong foundational concept and execute it very well. If I don't then I end up with unorganized nonsense, albeit entertaining and well thought out nonsense.

So, using my recent track record of blog-writing procrastination as a guidepost, how likely do you think it is that I actually found time to brainstorm and plan in advance for my costume? Nope, not very.
 (oh wow, I've been going about this all wrong. I never write on my blog if I make it a goal because then I just procrastinate the crap [out of it]? [away from it]? [into it]?  I never write on my blog if I make it a goal because then I just procrastinate the crap preposition it. I have to start using my habits against myself and use the blog as a tool for procrastination! Myself won't know what hit me. I'll reverse psychology the crap preposition me.)

BACK TO THE SUBJECT!

So I did not put any real effort into coming up with a real costume until the weekend before Halloween. Then I just found an assortment of odd clothing pieces that I figured would both look cool and keep me warm. (My favorite thing to do is to throw together a costume without aiming for anything in specific and then let other people tell me what I am.) (I'm like a living Rorschach ink blot test but with more plaid.) (I try put more creativity into the costume making process than the average costum(er?) [Pablo Picasso never set up an easel and said "I'm going to paint Batman today."  I imagine he was more like "Oh this color is cool. Let's draw a line -- oh that was cool! Let's draw some shapes here, I think that'd be awesome -- wait it needs a nose!"])


I thought about providing more set-up for that analogy.  But I decided not to.

So what I ended up as on Halloween, according to the consensus, was a Scandinavian troll hunter. (Which, incidentally, is the only kind of troll hunter which is in any way legitimate.) I wore jeans and a thermal undershirt, and then I put on an awesome Norwegian sweater and a cheesy american-y guitar-y sleeveless shirt. Then naturally I put very plaid shorts on over my jeans, (John) Donned my plaid shoes, (That was a high-brow joke of the comedic variety. Feel free to feel entertained.) and put on a viking hat.  I also put some plastic vines on my wrist and then someone tied a flashlight to my pants. (Flashlight=essential troll hunting equipment; it turns them to stone)(Er...sunlight does. I imagine flashlights just piss them off.)



I was also wearing fingerless hobo gloves.


It's like the Blair Witch Project but with bigger, sillier monsters, more hair and smell descriptions and infinitely more fjords. So essentially it's the Blair Witch Project but Norwegian.  It also features professional bear hunters, a rich heritage filled with vikings and storm gods, and universal health care. I'm not certain that I'm still talking about the movie.

Sometimes I wish I put enough time in to make the kind of costumes that make people go "oh, I get it, that's clever!" or "nice! I love Buzz Lightyear!"

But for now I'm okay with "what is that and why are you wearing it?" or "You don't put very much thought into this do you?" or "I thought vikings had more fashion sense."


TO WORK!





No comments:

Post a Comment