Friday, December 5, 2014

Out of the Mouths of Infants: Grunts and Incomprehensible Chattering

(Leaving out pictures and names for privacy reasons cause kids, sorry. But hey! Look forward to my next newsletter! And if you want that and aren't on a list for it/you want past newsletter, send me an email at miked3592@gmail.com)



I've worked with kids before. I'm by no means a stranger to playing with children, although the ones I'm playing with now are a little smaller than I'm used to. Being silly and playing games and dealing with tantrums and accidents isn't totally new to me, although it's true I am generally accustomed to children who can, given the proper space and time, successfully dress themselves with minimal assistance.

So that's new for me.

And as I sit here and reflect, holding crayons still as my 3-year-old companion meticulously peels the wrappers off like a conscientious matron polishing silver, I realize the daily joys and tribulations and oddities I'm facing here at my kindergarten/preschool/daycare hybrid in East Jerusalem are pretty irregular, actually. It's an environment both uncannily familiar and ridiculously different.

There's the age range, from nearly one all the way to five, which leads to some pretty silly interactions.

And then there's that whole language thing. Yikes.

There's a lot of overlap in comprehension with the kids, because if someone shouts "GET DOWN FROM THERE" at you enough in any language, you're going to understand it eventually. But to really effectively communicate fully with all these kids, you need to be competent in Arabic, English, German, and maybe Czech. That's not to say those are all the languages different kids there know, but it's enough to get by.

So in a single work-day I end up speaking a blurred, clumsy mix of English, Arabic, Norwegian, German (in steeply descending order of my actual competence), and sometimes even some Spanish by accident. One girl knows Italian, so Spanish is close enough, right? The crayon girl knows Norwegian, English, and Arabic, so I try to speak Norwegian to her -- just for the fun of it, and it grabs her attention a little better (you don't hear Norwegian very often here.)

There's a thick mix of local Palestinian children and children of internationals working with various NGOs and such -- not to mention a lot of mixed families that makes it even harder to spot the internationals versus the locals. 

I get a lot of chances to practice my Arabic though, because there's very little pressure when speaking to a 3-year-old. If I don't make any sense, maybe they just look at me funny -- which is whatever, because they were already gonna look at me funny. Or maybe they're crying about falling off the slide or I'm hurriedly carrying them to the bathroom -- regardless, they're not going to call me out on my bad grammar.

And the older kids even help teach me! Well, to an extent.

Some of them chatter endlessly and adorably to me in Arabic, not really caring whether I understand or not, while some speak Arabic but for some reason or another decide to communicate mostly in grunts. One particularly eloquent grunter likes to point to things and teach me vocabulary, but I know enough Arabic to know he's usually wrong. Maybe he's just messing with me?

Another girl is always super pumped to teach me more words, but whenever I point at an object and ask "shu hay?" she just tells me what color it is.

Most of the time though I just feel bad that I can't understand more of the incessant rambling and mumbling of the small Palestinian children as they play and wander about indulging their wild and vivid imaginations, beautifully unrestrained by all that "reality" and "knowledge" and "physics" that they'll pick up on as they continue growing. If only I knew a little more Arabic, that world of play and magical possibility wouldn't be so closed to me...

But then I hear the Canadian kid climb onto the slide and exclaim to no one in particular something like "You're a tomato -- mommy where fardinar!" And suddenly I feel a little less bad about my lack of comprehension.


No comments:

Post a Comment