Friday, May 13, 2011

Summertime Has Hit Me Like a Huge Sack of Soft, Cushy Bricks. Also, I love Carolina.

Well the school year is officially over.  Excuse me my brain is taking a moment to wrap itself around that. (And incorporate it as a part of itself?  It sounds like my brain is a grossly gelatinous sludge monster which is viciously consuming everything around it.  I wonder if that’s really that far from the truth. [“grossly gelatinous?”])
                    
My last exam was last Friday, and the last week has been a whirlwind of crazy, wacky, uncomfortable “not-being-at-UNC-anymore-ness”.  It feels like an eternity since I said goodbye to friends that were going away for the summer, which is weird.  To be fair, that’s probably because it’s been a fairly eventful week.

Friday and Saturday were devoted to spending time with family and friends that I hadn’t seen in a while.  Sunday morning, however, we went to the Commencement ceremony at UNC for a close family friend-pseudo-family member, which basically caused a humongous chain reaction of internal freak-outs, culminating in my repeated singing of James Taylor’s “Carolina in My Mind” for 3 consecutive hours after we left Kenan Stadium.  This is that story.

 It will become evident, if it has not already, that this particular literary cliché is not used correctly here; I will not be properly arranging this narrative into the form of a story.  Probably.  I beg your forgiveness.  Especially if I end up actually doing that, for I might have just wasted your time.   I’ll let you be the judge.  Of whatever this is.  

I hope I used *that* literary cliché correctly… 

I’m also pretty sure I just ran circles around myself logically, although all I accomplished in doing so was strangling myself with the various figurative threads of thought and tripping over my untied shoelaces.

BACK TO THE STORY! ( AKA: VAGUELY NARRATIVE EXPLANATION OF AN EVENT!)

So I get to UNC early that morning, dressed in my best Carolina gear.  I lead the way into the stadium, as I am deservedly recognized as the most familiar with the campus out of my entire family of people who have not attended UNC.   

1st Freak-out: My future

Once we’re in our seats, I begin to look through the program for the ceremony, which unsurprisingly, sets me off – anytime people discuss majors or I see the word “adviser” my eyes dilate and I begin to fidget like a dope-fiend.  Well here’s huge lists of people and the majors they somehow decided on.  If they can do it so can I, right?  My mind races as I begin to think about life and careers and the English language and journalism and the entertainment industry and South American culture and their traditions of religion and music.  Then I see the graduate students lists.

I spend an eternity poring over their thesis titles.  Getting a doctorate of philosophy begins to sound very appealing.  But in what?  Crap.  They probably don’t let you waffle around for a while.  I thank Jesus for the American Undergraduate system.  Then my family starts brainstorming funny titles for theses.  I participate but I am deadly serious.  My little brother is not amused by my interest in the aesthetic approach to truth-making.  I think he expected a joke.  I continue to agonize, anxiously brainstorming career ideas and potential graduate schools.   I wonder if I’d be willing to teach.  Probably not.

2nd Freak-out: My future at UNC

The ceremony starts, and suddenly the graduating class starts filing in.  Thousands of Carolina blue-clad students begin to pour out of the top of the stadium, filling in an entire four huge sections of bleachers.  I realize that in three years, that will be me walking down those bleachers.  That will be me waving to my parents, and then holding up the upside-down first “M” for the “I <3 U MOM” signs.  That will be me cheering at every opportunity as the class president gives us the sports highlights from the last four years.  That will be me tossing a beach ball into the air and throwing blow-up dolls onto my fellow students.  That will be me turning my tassel and stealing my mom’s Mother’s Day thunder.



3rd Freak-out: UNC

Already off my guard, unstable and sensitive as I am at the moment, I am blown away by the school spirit emanating from the graduates.  I’m caught up in the majesty of everything around me, as the foggy sky slowly fades to reveal a brilliant Carolina blue heaven, perfectly timed with the reveling of the students at the very end of their undergraduate journey.  I am so choked up that I have a difficult time singing my normal harmonies as the Clef Hangers sing “Carolina in My Mind”.  I squeak a little bit and end up going back to the melody, but I compensate by making it a very strong and pronounced version of the melody line.  Then the band begins to play the alma mater and I immediately wrap my arms around my 15 year-old brother and my dad.  I’m inspired by the great mass of swaying bodies that is the graduating students, and I sing as loudly as possible.  I love Carolina.



We had to sit and wait in the bleachers and then slowly work our way to the car for a long time afterward, but I didn’t care.  I was enthusiastically singing, humming, and falsettoing all the Carolina songs I could find in my brain.  It only mattered a little bit to me that our service at Red Robin was definitely sub-par; the euphoria only really began to fade after we got home much later that afternoon.  Then I put some music on, crawled into a really awkward position on the couch, and fell asleep for several hours.  Did I mention that I was running on less than four hours of sleep when I went to Commencement?  That might have been important.


Oh yeah, the commencement speaker's speech was really good too.   He talked about biodiversity. Good stuff.






No comments:

Post a Comment