Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Chill Bubble Tea: A review/tragedy part dos

Welcome back for part 2, if you haven’t read the first post you might have a hard time understanding this:
The smoothies didn't look too bad, as far as smoothies go. (which is to say, absolutely awesome) The only odd thing we noticed was that the entire bottom half of the cup seemed to have an enormous amount of black dots pressed up to the side. These, of course, were the tapioca pearls.

I'm not opposed to trying new things though, and although these pearls intimidated me slightly, I didn't let it turn me off to the smoothie too much. Our next task was to prepare the smoothies for drinking. We retrieved our humongous straws from the convenient bin, and then realized there was a problem. With this strange plastic film over our drinks, (instead of those conventional plastic lids, of which there were several I saw hidden away nearby the magic topper gizmo), we had no holes to place our straws into.

We both began to poke away at the plastic film covers, quickly realizing that we would have to fight to get to these smoothies. I tried briefly to rip the film off, but returned to poking madly. Eventually I made a small cut with the sharp end of my straw, and proceeded to stab it the rest of the way in, leaking smoothie all over the top of the cup, and spraying a small amount on my hand. After helping Laura do the same, we left the restaurant with our smoothies. (I pray that those lids were at least environmentally beneficial or something, because as far as I could tell, they serve no purpose other than to aggravate me to no end.)

Finally through this terrible ordeal, we began the walk to south campus, tentatively sipping our smoothies. My first thought was that for a watermelon smoothie, this wasn't as delicious as it could be. I didn't let this faze me, however; I'm not too picky when it comes to smoothies. I continued on until something strange happened: one of the so called "tapioca pearls" finally worked its way up the straw, and it was quite the experience. It was a small black ball, slightly bigger than a marble. It seemed to be completely tasteless, and it was chewy, which meant that by the time the rest of the smoothie in the mouthful was down the throat, this pearl was lingering, still being chewed up for swallowing. I would just be minding my own business, enjoying my smoothie, when more of the nasty black orbs would find their way to my mouth. Then I would have to slowly chew these things alone in my mouth until I could swallow them. Laura and I were immediately skeptical about the "bubbles." We made faces at each other, but continued on.

Slowly but surely, the ratio of mediocre fruit smoothie to chewy tasteless round objects began to overturn itself. As this changed, our outlook did as well. Complaining about the tapioca became the only thing we did between mouthfuls of smoothie and chewy death. Laura began to work on ways to avoid the tapioca, while I came upon another simple tactic.

Laura gave up, tossing the leftovers of her smoothie into a nearby trash can, while I began to spit. I would suck the smoothie down through my teeth, and attempt to launch the tapioca pearls through the air. This continued halfway through campus, spitting out tapioca pearls, up to five at a time.

Somehow, the actual volume of tapioca pearls in the cup looked almost unchanged, greatly discouraging me. I gave up on the smoothie, discarding it in a trashcan around South Road.

This concludes my run-in with a unique smoothie from “Chill Bubble Tea.” If you have different feelings about their divisive “tapioca pearls”, that’s completely alright, but I’ve made my judgment. To be fair, their tea is good, and I’m sure there frozen yogurt is delicious. (I mean you can’t mess up frozen yogurt can you?)

I hope you’ve enjoyed my story/review/rambling anecdote. Come back next week for my first “real” post. Also, keep an eye out for tapioca pearls on the quad…

1 comment:

  1. Creepy! In what sort of ocean would an oyster make tapioca pearls?

    ReplyDelete