Monday, October 18, 2010

The Fall Break List: things you didn't think you'd need in college, and things that you don't need but can brighten your day with their awesomeness

That might be my longest title to date? I'm not sure; I guess I'll have to look back to check.

Well the time has come for fall break, which for many is probably their first time going home since school started, making it a momentous occasion.  Not only does it give you an opportunity to get ahead on homework and catch up on sleep (Which you've been planning on doing all semester, what makes you think fall break will be any different?)  (I wish you could "get ahead" on sleep, that'd be extremely helpful)  (having big tangents in the middle of sentences is probably not extremely conducive to comprehension) and also get a nice haircut graciously paid for by parents, but it also presents a perfect opportunity to bring another big load of stuff from home.  And now that I've been in college for a good couple of months, I have a lot better idea of what I need that I don't have.

Of course the unintentional result of all of this is that I'm coming home with a huge to do list, which doesn't help with the whole "relaxation" plan.

And now, because I just love lists so much, (It's a little easier to slowly abandon grammar rules without people noticing)  (Incidentally, parentheses are also good for this) and because I want to give myself a break cause its fall break week, here's a list of stuff that's important to have in your dorm, and that I'm probably retrieving or restocking on this weekend.  This includes: 1) some things that I was really surprised that I needed to keep with me 2) some things that are always absolute essentials 3) some things I just really want

1)   Things that I need:
  • a pocket knife     (you'd be amazed how useful it can be to have a pocket knife around the dorm.  what do I use it for? well cutting things, silly)
  • lots of costume stuff (For Halloween, or just random themed dance parties.  You've got to be prepared, these things appear on awfully short notice.  (It's disco cowboy alien themed?  Okay, I think I've got something--ooh, these bell bottoms fit awfully well over my cowboy boots; now I just need to grow some scales and a third eye and I'll be good to go))
  •  guitar tablature paper (makes it easier than just manually darkening lines on graph paper)
  • vitamins ( this should be self-explanatory, but for some reason it wasn't for me)
  • my passport  (well technically I just need the number, I feel like I shouldn't actually need to bring my passport around with me, I don't have anything to prove...)
  • a big portable hard drive (backing up my computer seems like a reaaaally good idea)

2) Things that you know you need and you always need and more of them is useful:
  • Clothes. more clothes.   (how independent you are can be measured by exactly how long you can hygienically survive without doing laundry)  (is hygienically a word? I feel like it shouldn't be)
  • dress clothes
  • toilet paper
  • soap
  • bathroom cleaning supplies  (I don't feel like coming up with jokes for these, so just chuckle at this please.)
3) Things that I don't actually need at all but I appreciate having:
  • harmonica  (partially for the costume thing (I'm thinking of pulling together a Bob Dylan get-up for Halloween (While other people are in the bathroom touching up their costumes, I'll be rolling my head on a pillow and then running around outside trying to get my head to sweat (Oh the things I do to give myself the perfect Bob Dylan bed head... (wow these parentheses are blowing my mind)))) and also partially because I just really want a good harmonica)
  • ukelele (Not for a costume, I simply want a ukelele..)
  • speakers/subwoofer  (So my music can finally compete with that guy down the hall that keeps playing the bed intruder song)
      

Well that's it for this week, enjoy your Fall Break!  (I've been going back and forth about capitalizing fall break or not...)

NHL Tries To Woo Fans By Increasing Scoring With Bigger Nets, 3-Point Line

Historians Admit To Inventing Ancient Greeks

    1 comment:

    1. I thoroughly enjoyed your list of things that are needed/not needed... or are just fun to have. Especially your harmonica and ukulele, those were entertaining haha. I was definitley glad that fall break had finally arrived (along with every other student on campus) especially because I needed to haul some things home/pick some things up.... and well, it was nice to have access to a grocery store. In addition to catching up on mass amounts of sleep... which I agree with you, it would be so nice to be able to get ahead on sleep, I feel like majority of my problems would then be solved, thanks for posting :)

      ReplyDelete