Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The inherent supremacies of higher education OR: Why college is just so awesome

Being relatively new to college life, We freshmen are provided with a unique point of view.  We've been becoming a part of this crazy thing called a college community, slowly being integrated into this lifestyle.  At the same time however, we are still coming in from outside of it, and probably notice more unusual things than someone that has already been here several years might notice.  For me, this point of view is just like having extensive musical knowledge when listening to a song or other musical composition.  It can already be very enjoyable, but the increased awareness of just how out of the ordinary or interesting and different it is can greatly add to the experience.

Possibly the most important and essential factor that makes college that much better than the stages of life directly before and after it is the independence, coupled with the line of support coming from back home.  I'm living out on my own (except not exactly) and making my own decisions, (a very slow, painful process I assure you; I am incredibly indecisive) but at the same time my living costs are being paid for and every 1-3 weeks my mom brings me more groceries. This means setting your own schedules and basically doing things your way.  I'm responsible for deciding when to sleep, when to do homework, and when to go eat. 

Now I'm going to look into just a few of the rest of the many things that make college better than high school in general.  (notice that I'm doing my listing a little differently this time...)

1)  First of all, the classes themselves are more interesting and aren't as inconvenient.  You get to pick all your own classes.  There are general education requirements, but for the most part those can be filled with all kinds of different courses.  They aren't as long either, although the homework makes up for that.  (Also the professors are much more...umm..professional.)

2) You're living at the school with a beautiful campus around you.  This means you don't need to get up and drive to school every morning and stay there for 7 hours before you can get back home.  Your home, your friends, and your school are all in the same place, making everything incredibly convenient and easy to get to.  The campus makes it a pleasure to walk around between these places, and there's tons of places to go to hang out or do homework or something all around campus.

3) The difference in attitude is another huge improvement.  You can be randomly standing in line around campus and introduce yourself to somebody and start up a conversation.  Just try that in a high school lunch line and see what happens.  Not only are people friendlier and happier than high schoolers, but they're more fun!  This entire week there's a war being raged on campus between humans and zombies;  students have bandanas marking their sides and humans have nerf guns to stun zombies with.  (One of my new hobbies is reading the desperate facebook statuses of human survivors) There's also so many interesting people here.  Just the other day I was in the bathroom in the Union when a really scruffy guy with big headphones came in.  He went into a stall, and started playing "Stairway to Heaven" out loud (He must've had speakers as well)  He then proceeded to mumble loudly to himself over the next several minutes, reacting to the music, saying things like "holy shit", "oh my god", and  "that's insane, that's insane, that's insane."


Of course these are only a few of the many things that separates college life from high school, as well as from life beyond college.






Boy Believed To Be Next Reincarnation of Regional KFC Manager Discovered in Chatfield, MN

Hurriphoonado Cuts Swath of Destruction Across Eastern, Western Hemispheres

2 comments:

  1. Another great post... but this is the 2nd one in a row with no illustrations! You need a pictures of some UNC zombies, at least. (I noticed you didn't say if you were aligned with the humans or zombies in this battle?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE college!! I have to say that being free as a bird (sort of) is really awesome. Of course, some people get a little too excited about it and end up getting into some trouble, but we're all having our fun in our own ways. You're lucky that your mom gives you groceries, I don't have a car and I'm too lazy to arrange grocery runs with people who DO have cars, so I just walk to Walgreen's every week or so to get the important necessities. I love the vibes of everyone at college. There is SO much less judging going on and WAY more acceptance, I agree! I have to say that I'm not sure how anybody could NOT enjoy college (well, unless they keep going home and refuse to adjust, then that would not be fun). It's the best place to be!

    ReplyDelete