Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Late Night Franklin Street and Its Varied Culinary Offerings.

Before I came to Chapel Hill, I lived far away in a small town named Raleigh, North Carolina.  You've probably never heard of it; I usually just say I live "a couple of miles outside of Apex." Raleigh is a nice enough place, and
I've enjoyed spending 18 years of my life there, but one serious problem has become apparent to me in my time there.

Imagine that you're living in the northern region of Raleigh, and it's just a little after midnight on a Saturday night.  Suddenly, you a feel a stab of hunger in your gut, and you get the urge to find a delicious midnight snack.  What do you do?

Well obviously you can't just get some chips and some dip out of the pantry, that'd be taking the unsatisfying easy way out.  Therefore, you must go out; fast food is the only option that remains.  This brings us to the problem.  Where can you go?  There are no independent delis or grills within a reasonable distance that stay open late, and almost all of the fast food that you would expect to remain open has closed.  McDonalds, Wendys, Taco Bell: all closed.  The only choice still available?  Cookout.  Now don't get me wrong, as Cookout is incredibly delicious. 
I'd go so far as to say that the only thing wrong with Franklin Street or possibly Chapel Hill as a whole is the absence of a Cookout.  The inspirational and reasonably priced milkshakes of so many different flavors, the revolutionary working man's combo: the Cookout tray, Cookout has it all.

I love Cookout, and I love that it is open until 3 AM in Raleigh, but I also love variety.  Unless I want to drive for more time than I could possibly spend eating, Cookout is the only option. 

Now this is where Franklin Street shines; after midnight, there are still a huge variety of delicious foods available.  I still haven't had the opportunity to try every single one, but I'd like to discuss several important ones.

  • Bskis: put simply: simply fantastic.  Only once have I tried their namesake food item, the "ski", but it was extremely tasty.  What I really love about this place is the side items though.  The chicken strips, the huge bag of fries, the cookies and the fresh fruit.  This is all I want when I go to Bskis.  The worst feeling is when you get a craving for Bskis on monday nights, as this is the one night where they close before the AM.
  • Cosmic Cantina:  As soon as I got to UNC, I began to hear amazing things about Cosmic's burritos.  The restaurant itself is a little seedy, but this only adds to the experience when you're rushing there at 2:57, to get in before they supposedly close at 3 (don't worry,they stay open as long as there's people there, and there always are).
  • Jimmy Johns: A good sub is always delicious, especially late at night, and Jimmy Johns is just a classic.
  • Gumby's pizza:  Enjoying amazingly delicious pokey stix and a pizza late at night with good friends: probably less than 10 dollars.  Getting late night delivery from Gumby's pizza: priceless.     Wait I think I did that wrong?
  • I Love New York Pizza: greasy and delicious 
  • Time Out Cafe (24 HOURS!): supposedly very greasy, and very delicious.
  • Qdoba: only open late on weekends.
  • Buns: because burgers are a necessity for late night dining in a college town.
That's all for this week, and now there's no reason to be scared when you get hungry at 1:45 in the morning!

DEA Recruits Lil Wayne To Use Up All Drugs In Mexico

3 comments:

  1. Pokey Stix and Jimmy Johns could be band names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey this is pretty helpful (kind of)! I’ve been on Franklin Street at about all hours, and I must say I didn’t enjoy Time-Out Café. I went a couple weeks ago and it was decent, just not worth what I paid for it. Then again I guess beggars can’t be choosers at 3 o’clock in the morning. The only pizza place I’ve been to is the one with the artichoke pizza, which is pretty legit. I am from a little town with no stoplights, so I’ve never been able to just go out in the middle of the night to eat good food. It’s pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Everything you said above just struck my fancy haha. My roommate is from Florida, where cook out does not exist, so I'm trying to figure out a way to get her some. Apparently Chapel Hill won't allow one because they don't allow drive thru's, which doesn't make sense. They won't allow Bojangles either because they don't allow orange signs. What is with that? It's all just so delicious, though Franklin street does offer much more variety. Time outs is amazing. P.s. they were on man vs. food. But all of the restaurants that are opened late are wonderful, and I can't say I could choose a favorite. Man, I'm hungry now haha.

    ReplyDelete